Monday, July 15, 2019

The Reward of Current Running Through Your Connections - Kirby Leo


In the quest to develop an in vitro cardiotoxicity assay, I have been immersing myself in multiple aspects of bioengineering. With the electrical, computational, and cellular components that make collecting and analyzing my data, I’ve been getting a very comprehensive view of what it’s like to work at the interface of cells and technology. My experiments are chronological in that I have been following certain chips by characterizing them and performing electrical stimulations and recordings via my weekly cardiac culture schedule. I’ve definitely been seeing some sensible trends in my data, and I never feel like I am slowing down in my work since there are always new ways I can interpret old data, in addition, to combing through all the new data I constantly collect from my electrophysiology experiments. Comparing results and analysis methods with those from papers in the field has also been something I have been consistently practicing to maintain direction and relevance in the limited time I have. However, I’ve been speeding up a lot in my analysis now that I have more code written and overall have a more intuitive sense for troubleshooting and running experiments with the setups at imec.


Having fun in a data analysis session at my temporary flex desk – photo credits to my supervisor, Thomas

Collaboration has been a key part of my experience at imec. In addition to heavily using Skype for Business, my team works at flex desk office stations in the tower. All I need to do is plug in my laptop into any empty desk with a docking station, and I’m good to go. This environment has inspired me to be more interactive with my team members, specifically through discussion and sharing of equipment. The highly international setting promotes cultural exchange that intertwines with work habits and behavior. However, this global awareness and connection doesn’t stop with my team, it’s definitely a characteristic imec as a whole. For example, I happened to meet a non-LST engineer sitting at the end of my lunch table from America whose wife had gone to my high school in San Francisco!

Travel wise, considering how hot it has been in Europe, taking a dip in the ocean on a Saturday at a beach in Oostende, a coastal Belgian city, was refreshing. In contrast, I met up with a Hopkins friend who was interning in Switzerland on another weekend to take a hectic and hot trip to Paris. Together, we practiced our French and navigated our way from Champs-Élysées to the Musée d’Orsay and bakeries where we could get our fill of pastries and bread. It was an incredible but exhausting experience that I would love to extend upon in the future when I come back to Europe.




A classic tourist picture at the Louvre, with my friend, Jody



No comments: