Monday, July 29, 2019

Rounding the Corner - Thomas DiSorbo

Chip hooked up to electrode under microscope.
It is hard to believe my summer in Belgium and imec has almost come to an end! Within a few short weeks there will be nothing left to do but reflect on my experience. When I look back on what I have accomplished so far, I appreciate the quality of this opportunity and have a better understanding of the steps I must take to complete my work.

My project, developing a procedure for electrical partial cell lysis, has come a long way. It began with a number of ancillary questions regarding equipment, experiment parameters, and model production, and all of which have been answered to give the experiments more focus. I have selected the optimal electrode configurations, perfected the mathematical model of the cell, and crossed over many other stepping stones to come to a place where my experiments are producing promising results.

Printed circuit boards to hold electrodes.
To successfully capture and lyse a cell using the electrodes I have selected, I need to design two separate electrical pulses, for the capture and lysis respectively. The “capture pulse” must produce positive dielectrophoresis, an attractive force that acts on small particles, while the “lysis pulse” must produce a voltage that is capable of lysing the outer membrane of the cell while keeping the nuclear membrane intact. With the help of my models, I have determined a number of pulses that are capable of capture, and a few that may be capable of partial lysis. As the project comes to a close, I need to produce video evidence of the capture and lysis using a cell staining procedure with two types of dye and working with them under a microscope.

Spending the summer focused on a singular research project has been a rewarding experience and a refreshing break from the often hectic, multitasking I do during the school year. Although I am approaching my project’s conclusion, I do not feel the stress or pressure that I may have felt on a similar project in America. With the more relaxed work culture in Belgium, I have been able to work at my own pace. A balanced work life has done wonders for my productivity. My time at imec has also provided me a taste of academic research that encourages me to continue my plans to pursue a PhD.

Beyond work, this past weekend I attended the Gentse Feesten, a 10-day summer festival in Ghent. It was a fantastic opportunity to explore another Belgian city, its gothic architecture, and to experience the Belgian culture and people at their most relaxed. Though my time is ending, I am happy with the memories I’ve made. 

Graffiti of atomium Ghents.

No comments: