Friday, June 28, 2019

The Golden Ratio of Wires to Cells - Kirby Leo


Navigating the dark Zonneberg caves
Working with the heart-on-a-chip project has been an incredibly engaging experience. The project aims to develop a chip technology for in vitro cardiotoxicity assays. I’ve been testing electrical stimulations on cardiac cells and evaluating the effect of the cells on our microelectrodes. It’s been a lot of fun developing my computational skills (which were quite rusty coming in), and I’ve made it my personal goal to automate my data processing as much as possible. While I get to learn new software, like Origin (which I’ve found to have similarities to GraphPad Prism), I also get to apply some of my experience with image analysis to extract as much data as possible from my experiments. It’s also a pleasant break to only need to pipette around one or two days a week – some of my experiments involve wires more than cells and liquids. There is a lot of debugging that needs to be done with our setup, and I’m looking towards making the jump from MATLAB to Python in my work, but I’ve been getting a lot of helpful support from my supervisor.

With my team’s after-work dinners at Oude Markt, I have been able to share some of my American life while receiving cultural insight from my coworkers. Attending a European-style thesis defense (which, unlike the American public defenses I had been to in the past, was quite stressful with a jury full of questions) and having a blast at imec festival are just some of the highlights. I’ve even been able to connect with someone on my team who was a post-doc at Hopkins in the lab of my advisor! These have been opportunities for me to discuss and juxtapose the American research atmosphere with the one here.

Per suggestion of my team to use Flixbus, I took a weekend trip to Amsterdam with Christina and Sharada. There, we visited the Van Gogh museum, explored the city streets, and had a taste of the Holland gastronomy. Likewise, I took the Belgian rail with Elmer to visit the underground Zonneberg Caves and ENCI quarry in Maastricht. However, I’ve found that there are a lot of places to explore in Leuven itself, and I’ve also been taking time to explore locally with my bike. Starting with the bustling city center and serene libraries, I’ve been gradually immersing myself in Leuven life.

Some of the Zonneberg manmade cave entrances

                                             

No comments: