Friday, June 14, 2019

Settling In - Sharada Narayanan


Me in Bruges
I’ve been living in Leuven for a week now and I have been quite busy with administrative chores ranging from registering as a visitor at city hall, setting up Wi-Fi in my dorm, and completing a myriad of trainings to begin work in the lab. Additionally, I’ve been spending a lot of time reading papers on my research project.

Buzzwords like “personalized medicine” and “point-of-need” medical care boil down to the need for fast, efficient, and cost-effective ways to identify genes in a patient’s DNA. Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) is a method that amplifies DNA for gene identification. However, PCR methods require sophisticated lab equipment, expensive reagents, and have long wait times.

Many advancements have been made in lab-on-a-chip technology, that is, using microchips with microfluidic reactors to perform PCR using the tiniest pin-prick of blood or cells. But the initial purification of DNA remains challenging to perform on a microchip without using a large, complex set-up. Alongside my mentor Rodrigo, we are refining the use of silicon micropillars for on-chip sample preparation of bacteria, and testing its efficacy using DNA concentration quantification methods and on-chip PCR assays.

Beyond work, I have been acclimating to Belgium life and exploring the surrounding area. There are bikes everywhere, no water fountains, friendly and laid-back people, and good bread. Everyone speaks English, but a lot of signs, menus, etc. are in Flemish, a particular challenge for me, a vegetarian, but I’ve been able to avoid catastrophe thus far.

Leuven is beautiful. Nestled between farmland, the residential area I live and work is lush and green with wood pigeons cooing in the trees. The city center is a quintessential European town complete with cobblestone streets bursting with shops and restaurants. This weekend Christina and I visited Bruges, Antwerp, and Brussels. Interwoven with canals, soaked with sunshine, and a waffle shop every 50 ft, Bruges felt like the perfect place to retire after a long and interesting life. Antwerp, cloudy and gritty, was the city to sit at a cafe in a black turtleneck and smoke. Brussels was historic and bustling and felt like the first truly big city I’d see in Belgium, fitting its moniker as “the capital city of Europe”.

The view from my dorm room in Wisteria


No comments: