Tuesday, July 24, 2018

A Tale of Two Softwares - Ayon Mitra


Our eighth week in Leuven is coming to an end. Although there’s still two weeks left, I’ve already received emails from imec HR and KU Leuven regarding exit procedures. Next Friday, we have our final presentation to sum up the work we did at imec. All of these underscore how quickly our internship is wrapping up. This has been a very formative experience for me. In addition to being my first true exposure to a professional environment, it has given me a newfound interest in the intersection of technology and medicine.



In the past two weeks, I have continued to use Comsol 3D simulations to find the maximum folding angle of the compliant structure. Comsol in 3D uses more resources and takes more time to complete computations than Comsol in 2D, but it is also much more applicable to real-world situations.

In addition to Comsol, I have started using Matlab for simulations as well. While there was a small learning curve, because my previous experience with Matlab was more with equations and computations rather than 3D plotting, I have learned how versatile the software can be. Using matrices and 3D plotting, I’m working on modeling honeycomb-like structures and their folding patterns in Matlab.



COSMOL Graphic: Optimized Folding


Matlab Plot: Honeycomb Pyramid

The last couple of weeks, I’ve enjoyed domestic life in Belgium. A major highlight was last Saturday, when I went to Brussels. Although I only spent around half a day there, I was able to see much of the city. I saw famous Grand-Place square and Manneken Pis, and visited the European Parliament museum. In addition, the day that I went was Belgian National Day, so there were very interesting demonstrations by the Belgian military. We only have two weekends left, but I intend to make the most of them.

Grand-Place Square in Brussels

No comments: