Thursday, June 28, 2018

Work Hard, Play Hard - Dante Navarro


Last weekend was my first weekend exploring outside of Belgium.  We ventured to Madrid, spending a few short days there to see and eat the essentials.  We toured the Palacio Real and Museo Prado, two buildings that seemingly never ended, showcasing the wealth of the past monarchy and centuries worth of artistic endeavors from the Spanish culture.
           
The weekend felt like a blur trying to fit an entire country’s capital into a few days, but it finally slowed down when I returned to work on Monday. I began working on my presentation for the next day. Currently I work in Leuven, but most of the app development and data analysis happens in Ghent which is another city in Belgium closer to the coast.  Initially from the first meeting with my team, I had a general understanding of what they expected from me in the coming weeks. They expected a iOS application that read in stress values and presented them in correlation to daily activities. My work is very independent which allows for a lot of creative freedom and adhering to self-prescribed deadlines.   Working through the first weeks, I constructed an application that read the users calendar and fit randomized data indicating how they felt in these moments based on an algorithm utilizing on biological values. Traveling to Ghent on Tuesday was extremely easy because of the interconnected train system in Belgium. The directions were vague, but the building was easily identifiable because it was shaped like a stack of books. After the presentation, I gained some very constructive feedback on features that I should include and how to connect to their database to include real data in my study. 


De Krook library in Ghent with the imec office on the top floor


Throughout the week I worked on some changes to my prototype applications, making several variations to test functionality and efficiency. At the end of the week back at imec, there was the annual summer festival that had an amazing amount of free food trucks with dishes ranging from tacos to Belgian waffles all the way to fried calamari. It was an incredibly fun atmosphere to enjoy with all of my friends from work.  


imec party with free food trucks!


After the weekend on Tuesday, a group of friends from work and I are making it a tradition to play basketball and enjoy dinner afterwards. This weekend I am looking forward to watching Belgium advance in the World Cup and maybe a trip to Paris...


Weekly Basketball Tradition 


Dinner after Basketball



No comments: