Thursday, June 15, 2017

A Shakeup in Europe - Kevin Li


Hi/Hei/Hé !  My name is Kevin and I’m a rising senior studying Materials Science and Engineering, and a first timer here in Europe!

I flew into Brussels a few days before the program started and zoomed on a high-speed Thalys train to Paris.  Although a good bit jet-lagged (watching movie after movie on the plane didn’t help), I was able to explore the super-touristy sights such as the Arc de Triomphe, the Eiffel Tower, and the Louvre Museum.  After wandering around for a while I lost track of time –I was surprised to find that it was already 10PM and I hadn’t eaten dinner yet!  One cool thing in Europe is that the sun sets very late (and thus allowing for more sightseeing). The next morning, I fulfilled a dream of going to Roland Garros, the tennis French Open, to watch my favorite players battle it out on clay.  It was a terrific, lively atmosphere and I had an absolute blast. 

After a couple days I headed back to Belgium and took a train to Leuven, which is where we would stay and work.  After a ~slight~ complication (where I walked into the completely wrong residence hall of a nearby Christian school and got lost) I finally found my bearings and settled into Wisteria, a dormitory for KU Leuven students.  My luck seemed to take a turn for the better as I got a double room with a queen-sized bed and rooftop access with a terrific view.  I then met up with the other interns and we had our first Belgian meal together!

The first few days at IMEC have been mostly paperwork, training, and most importantly, obtaining a bike.  I let my bike (who I named Archibald) choose me – and although it’s rusty and beaten up, it hasn’t broken down yet (the same cannot be said for my other fellow interns).  My work is on designing a switchable light scatterer to project and manipulate light, hinged on phase and refractive index-changing materials.  I’ll be simulating different designs and exploring various materials for these few weeks.

Last weekend, all of the interns and I went to Brussels where we indulged in Belgian waffles coated with melted chocolate and strawberries, fantastic architecture (including a statue of a pissing boy, named Manneken Pis), and generous naps in the central park.

More to come soon! Thanks for reading.



Diego eats so many waffles that he becomes a waffle…


When I thought it was 8PM but it was actually 10:00PM (Louvre Museum, Paris)


Wishing that I was playing on that court! (Roland Garros, Paris)



No comments: