Tuesday, August 25, 2015

PCR, programming and Dublin

Since my last blog post, my research project has moved from doing some preliminary testing using a commercially available PCR cycler to a droplet-in-oil PCR setup. The setup is challenging because it involves lots of tiny microfluidic elements, but the process has started to become easier as I gain experience with it.

St Michan's Church
We are using ImageJ and Matlab to analyze our data, so I’ve had to familiarize myself with ImageJ and refresh my memory slightly on Matlab programming. As a computer science minor, I have been enjoying putting some of those skills to practical use! At Imec I think we have settled into our work and have a better understanding of what to expect.

This past weekend, I returned to the English-speaking world by making a trip to Dublin, Ireland. It was my first time traveling alone, but it went smoothly and I’m glad I made the trip! My favorite part of the trip was visiting Bray, a seaside town not far from Dublin. There I was able to hike up a large hill called Bray’s Head to some incredible views of the surrounding sea, town, and mountains. 

Another highlight was a tour of the crypts at St. Michan’s church. There, the constant temperature, the release of methane gas from the ground, and moisture absorbing limestone walls caused the bodies in the crypts to become mummified. The tour was extremely interesting and engaging in large part because the excellent tour guide. Overall I found Dublin to be friendly and enjoyable!

---Gwen Hoffmann

After climbing Bray's Head

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I see lots of student in Dublin its great chance to get hihger education .Lots of student looking best colleges and universities thanks for your this blog information program .....



Student apartments in Manchester
Best student apartments in Manchester

aishah said...

Nice post sharing. I recommend everybody to go here if they want to be a professional writer. Or get help from the professionals for your writing. The best of the best people are there. All the best!